Monday, September 20, 2010

Trixie the Halloween Fairy

Yesterday at Walmart we were just peeking at the Halloween stuff and I saw fairy/butterfly wings.  I realized that I never ordered the green ones for Miss V's reward, I know bad Mummah!  So I casually said, wow those orange wings look like Trixie the Halloween Fairy wings.  Miss V right then and there said she wanted to be Trixie for Halloween.  I must have asked her 5 or 6 times if she wanted them for dress up or for her costume and I would not order the Jane Jetson costume.  She was ADAMANT that she wanted to be Trixie!  Oh so I pull up the book cover picture on my lovely blackberry.  Sure enough we found the orange and black tights, wand and necklace.  I couldn't really tell what was on her head and then figured, hey I could just whip up an orange dress...Ok I haven't seriously sewn in YEARS!!!!!!

I looked all over online last night for orange tunics, peasant type dresses and to no avail.  I did spot a pattern by McCalls. 

I explained to Miss V this morning that I was going to go look at Joann's fabrics and if I couldn't find anything, then I would order a large men's long sleeve t-shirt and would take it in and up.  She was fine with that, but said she just knew I would find something at Joanns.  But wanted to make sure that I could some how make it sparkly.  Yep...I have spray glitter which she remembered using last year for our tin can Santa.

So after dropping her off at school this morning, I went and got my ice coffee at Dunkies to strengthen my fortitude that I can sew....

So at Joanns I find the pattern, take a really big deep breath and went in search of orange fabric.  I naturally went to the front where the Halloween fabrics are located.  Nothing so I walked s-l-o-w-l-y up and down the aisles until I found it!  There was bolt of Orange panne velvet in all its glory..just waiting for me.

Take another deep breath, take the lovely bolt of orange panne velvet off the shelf and headed to the cutting station and get my 3 yards.  I then and go get matching thread and went in search of a canvas bag that I can decorate up for her trick or treat bag.  I couldn't believe it, they don't have them.  Oh well....one project at a time.

So I check out and feel like I am going to have a mini stroke...Can I seriously do this???  Can I make a halfway decent tunic dress????  What was I thinking?????

So somehow this:


Will turn into this adorable fairy?



Any and all encouragement would be greatly appreciated!!!!  LOL

1 comment:

  1. You are going to laugh! I am doing the same outfit, with the same wings, accessories and fabric! I chose a different pattern, but the idea is the same. I have it cut out and need to sew it, so I should get to work! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete